Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lila, Requiesce in Pacem






June 13, 2006
Today, I'm grieving for the late Lila, most excellent Chesapeake bay retriever, lunatic, loving, neurotic, obstinate, full of heart and very little brain, afraid of the wind and large insects but fierce towards anything she saw as a threat, relentlessly cheerful and uncomplaining to the end, even as she had lost the use of her hind legs, and couldn't make it up the single step from the bedroom. I am thankful for the time I had with her, for the unconditional love she gave me. For the lesson she taught me: once you accept a sentient being's love, you can't change your mind and unaccept it, however challenging it turns out to be. She could be a pain in the neck - there's a reason why the word for female dog means what it means - but, I loved her, and will miss her.
Lila Rose Fallon
May 11, 1996 - June 13, 2006
You can't have life without pain, nor love without loss. Still and all, somehow that makes it worth it.
blessed be,
peggy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home