Shelby the wonder dog

Shelby came to live with me in June, 2008. She's 5 1/2 years old, German Shepherd mixed with something less definable. She's extremely well-behaved, smart, calm and loving. She loves and gets along with all people and most dogs , but considers small furry creatures like bunnies, squirrels and chipmunks to be something to be chased. This is good, since I was having a bad time with the bunnies eating my garden until she came along and chased them out of the back yard.
She stays in the house while I am at work, even though she can go out through the doggie door if she needs to. When she is in the yard, she doesn't bark or cause trouble with my neighbors -- she doesn't even bark back at the dogs next door! She does leave me little messages, like taking her leash out of the closet and leaving it on my bed while I'm at work, which I assume to mean, "I wish you were here and we were going for a walk."
Shelby had a traumatic early puppy-hood, tied to a tree, but was rescued by Ross (a friend of a friend), who gave her much love and a good home for many years. His living situation had deteriorated recently, and the owner of the house where he was living could not tolerate Shelby. She's very sensitive to the humans around her, and I think she was suffering, knowing she wasn't wanted there. I know it was very hard for Ross to give her up, but I am so grateful to him for taking that leap.
Shelby has brought much joy and companionship to my life. I feel very lucky to share my life with her.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home